Welcome to part TWO of this blog! If you missed the first part of “The top 10 things I learned while living in the Dominican Republic” click here to read it.
I love living abroad and I have had such an amazing opportunity to learn and to grow.
Here it goes….
6. Life is about experiences- not material things. It is so easy to get caught up with your shopping list that you ignore your bucket list. I bet that you can already afford to make a dream come true. It does not take millions of dollars to live like a millionaire! Look around you (starting with the device you are reading this with) and add up all the things you have been buying that are not plane tickets to your dream destination.
Sometimes you don’t have to go far to make great memories. When was the last time you went camping or on a mission trip? When was the last time you and your friends took a road trip together? There is plenty of fun to be had with or without a passport and it’s up to you if you make memories or not. Memories and experiences are not available in stores. Look at your bucket list, dust it off, and start planning!
7. If you want something different you have to stop doing the same thing. So many of fall guilty into the routine of complaining. My husband wanted to live on the beach- so we moved. I wanted an online business- so I started one. Pretty easy right? NOT! Change is difficult and time consuming. Change is risky and unpredictable at times. However, the rewards outweigh the risk. Have you ever had to drink medicine that tasted disgusting? I have. I hated it but drank it anyways because I wanted to feel better and avoid getting even worse.
Perhaps you are sick of your current circumstances. It’s time for you to take action and avoid getting worse. If you don’t know how, get mentorship. Work with someone who has what you have. I have mentors who know me and I have mentors who don’t know I exist. Thanks to being in the information age, I can read books, listen to podcasts, attend webinars, and participate in masterminds. I bet you can download a mentor or two onto your kindle right now.
8. Opportunities come to those who create them. It took a lot of life experiences for me to realize that my success was in my hands. It took a lot of headaches and heart break to realize that waiting to be hired for a job was literally waiting for someone to create an opportunity for me to take advantage of. I’m not against people having jobs to take care of their families but I do advise against waiting for someone else to decide it’s your turn to achieve a goal.
Perhaps you can find a way to make an additional income on a part time basis. Maybe you can do freelance work to diversify your income. The opportunities are endless but what is not is your time. Every day that passes is a day that you could have taken the initiative to achieve a goal, make a connection, ask for a raise, start a business, or go to the gym. Decide what you want and then make it happen. It won’t happen overnight but when it does, you will be happy you worked for it.
9. Meeting with people got easier when cell phones were not an option. I love spending time with people but sometimes we get in our own way of making memories. I remember times when people I was with made our outing look more fun on Instagram than it really was. People have so many apps to check into, messages to return, photos to tag, and people to add that they forget there are real humans in the room.
Living in a small beach town abroad has allowed me to be with people that are having a great time because their phones are off. People have pictures of the ocean from so many angles that they don’t bother taking a pic anymore. I still post a few pics a day because I’m a recovering addict but soon I might get through a walk past the beach without taking out the camera. Time will tell!
10. You can’t win the game if you don’t know the rules. I used to know absolutely nothing but myths and tales about business. It wasn’t until I learned what worked and took the time to master those skills that I started to see success. If you do not know what you are doing but are at least taking action, I commend you for not giving up. However, it’s time that you learn to work smarter. The more I learn the more I earn. That is why I encourage others to increase their skills.
You wouldn’t show up to a baseball or volleyball game and try to win without knowing how to play. In life, you need to learn exactly how to get what you want. If I can help you in any way on your journey let me know. The choice is yours and the time is now. Take action and make your dreams a reality!
P.S. Are you an entrepreneur & want to join me in paradise to mastermind for 5 days?
Due to popular demand, you can now bring your goals, your laptop, and your bathing suits to take your business to the next level.
The all-inclusive 5 day Paradise Mastermind is for entrepreneurs who want to work with me on a one-to-one basis to successfully market their online business.
Click here schedule a complimentary phone conversation with me to learn more about my 5 day mastermind.
Remember that these complimentary sessions are for entrepreneurs who are serious about being successful in their businesses and are ready to take their online marketing to the next level- who have the resources available to invest in themselves and their business.
thanks so much for the thing I’ve read